Thursday, January 14, 2010

First Glimpse of Addis

Because it was dark when we arrived in Addis Saturday night, we could not visually take in the city as we were driven to the hotel in the AGCI vans. I woke up Sunday morning when the Muslim call to prayer started around 4am. It was raining and hazy. This is what I saw when I looked out the window of the hotel room.

Still in an American mindset, I assumed at first the tin roofed structures were storage sheds but quickly figured out each one housed a family. I noticed that the people coming out were disappearing around the back wall. I was startled realizing most of these shelters have no running water, including toilets. I should note we stayed at a nice hotel in Addis. What we were surrounded by was that much more startling because of the contrast with where we were staying.

I felt awkward as the little boy and the woman at the end spotted me videoing them. I stopped the camera and waved. With one hand in his pocket, the boy waved back and kept waving for several minutes.

I cannot figure out how to turn my blog playlist off, so please just click on pause at the bottom of the blog to turn off the music. Then turn your volume up while you watch the video and you will hear the chanting in the background. The loudness of the chanting ebbed and flowed through the morning. It was faint when this video was taken. Because the chanting is broadcast throughout the city, it becomes part of the fabric of morning routines and rituals and set the tone for a first glimpse of the city.


6 comments:

  1. I wasn't able to view the video, but I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and experiences about Ethiopia. We long to be there soon.
    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Video won't open for me either. Not that I really need to hear it as I was there with you! :)
    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no trouble watching the video and enjoyed reading your observations and impressions--look forward to reading more. Wish we would have thought to film more of life in Addis--mind if I link to your clip? (i'll give you the credit). Been thinking of you, Dodd and Bear a lot in the past few days (but for some reason (hint--shes about 9 months old and does not like to nap) have had a hard time getting on the computer!) I feel so out of the loop! hope to catch up better soon!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! It's fun to get a glimpse into our future daughter's birthplace. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, hard not to appreciate how easy it is to just turn on the tap for safe water...

    ReplyDelete